Friday 3 July 2009

Sleeping positions as a character guide

Apparently two thirds of your life is spent asleep. Most of this time, I assume, is actually in a bed, rather than collapsed in front of the tv, lolling asleep in the passenger seat of the car, or during a boring lecture. If so, how significant is the position that we sleep in? Does it really reflect our personalities (yes, according to Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the UK Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service) but how so, I query, when over your life your sleeping positions surely change? Does that mean that your personality changes? If so, does it change through just the experience of life (good and bad) or simply through the immutable passage of time?

In the light of this thought I have examined my own sleeping positions over the years with a direct comparison with my husbands and my childrens (little do they know but that is the reason why I, a mysterious, white clad figure have been hovering above them, noting their sp's). So, a totally non-scientific study, unlike the eminent Prof. Chris.

My husband likes to sleep in the 'soldier' position (look up Prof Chris) preferably with his arms raised above his head. He has always liked to sleep like this for as long as I have had the privilege of being in bed with him, and what a blight it is! Snoring! He must have invented it! Sometimes it is like waking up to Niagara Falls, other times a steam engine rushing past with a tooting whistle would be unheard against the whistling snore of my husband deeply asleep, or possibly it might be the deep heavy breathing of someone being slowly strangled. So, over the years, I have developed two strategies - one, to give him a sharp dig in the ribs (once, I am sorry to say, so sharp that I bruised him, but I was desperate m'lud) and two, to shout at him something along the lines of 'turn over you are snoring' (the words vary depending on how annoyed I am). However, as he has always slept in this position what does it signify about his character? Well, Prof Chris would say-

Soldier : Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

No, no, no. This does not describe my husband in the slightest (maybe the high standards but I only slip that in if he reads this).

Now, myself, recently. I always used to sleep in the Soldier position and I am quiet and reserved on occasion, but recently I have found my self adopting the Freefall position. This is quite different. It shows that my personality has changed:

Freefall: Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Although it is true that I don't like criticism, but then I put it to the world at large - who does? And what is an extreme situation? Teetering on the edge of a cliff on a crumbling path - rational or what? But does this mean that I have changed my personality. And will I ever attain the nirvana of the Starfish?

Starfish: Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

Meanwhile what of my children? Well, all of them started off as Starfish, but now they have graduated to different positions, but every time I look at them they are differently positioned and there is a limit to how often a fond mother can pop in and out of bedrooms at night observing sleeping positions. So what are my conclusions? This. Take absolutely no notice of the position your loved ones take when they are asleep as a personality guide. You would do better to take note of what they say and do when they are awake, this will be more telling.

  • .




  • 20 comments:

    1. these are fascinating thoughts... Must one stay in the same position all night to qualify for the identified characeristics?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Prof Chris does not say. I imagine however, as a student of much intelligence, that you must be in the same position for at least six hours, but not necessarily without breaks.....

      ReplyDelete
    3. I would see guy brewer as a definite starfish....

      ReplyDelete
    4. No, no, guy is not a starfish ....he is...or was....a foetus....

      ReplyDelete
    5. What are you talking about? Foetus? I would say he is a log. Definitely.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    7. who are these people and why are they saying such silly things?

      ReplyDelete
    8. I happen to come across this whilst looking for a reliable World War Two website on which to post my latest research on German uniform changes in October 1941, and imagine how shocked I was!

      I once had cause to share a hotel room with your husband (all completely above board - but it's a long story) and can confirm that he is the most considerate of sleepers. Perhaps the odd Puff of appreciation for the pleasures of sleep, but little else!

      Also I thought Professor Chris' description of him suprisingly accurate 'quiet and doesn't like a fuss' that's your partner down to a tee!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Thank you Frank. May I just say that I think a mans experience of sharing a room with another man overnight is totally different from a woman's. I would love to have information on your latest research on German uniform changes in October 1941 as I am looking for a suitable birthday present for my husband and this, if written down in pamphlet form sounds perfect.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I'm surprised at your comments as I've shared many different rooms with both men and women and haven't noticed the slightest difference in experience.

      As for my new information on German uniforms, you are right, it is groundbreakingly fascinating. I'll let you have a copy once I've edited it down to manageable length - say a couple of hundred thousand words.

      ReplyDelete
    11. did you know that German army nightwear was designed to ensure that soldiers slept in the most efficient manner possible. Years of research created the ultimate sleepwear. THis has been rarely documented and undervalued in terms of its impact on conflict outcomes.

      ReplyDelete
    12. This is fascinating stuff guy. If you have inside knowledge then I know that Frank would love to discuss it with you in detail.. I would like to be there too. Shall we fix a date?

      ReplyDelete
    13. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    14. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Of course. I have booked a table at the bistro on the corner. The usual time? And the customary dess code, of course. (Leibermuster and litzen for me this time.)

      ReplyDelete
    16. I shall join you too. I have a small poem I would like to share:
      Night time
      Fright time
      Night wear
      Night mare
      Moon light
      Star bright
      Are you sleeping in the same position all night?

      Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Inspired. This poetry could lead a nation to unforetold greatness. What is holding us back? Lead on poetess and forge a future from words of almost entirely almost one syllable. Here is my repost, (in that vein...)
      Left, right,
      Left, right,
      Left, right,
      Left, right,
      (etc.)

      ReplyDelete
    18. Amazing words
      Fantastic thought
      A dream come true

      A poem by guy
      A song of joy
      A wish brought forth

      The listeners listen
      The watchers watch
      They are content

      ReplyDelete
    19. I am in tears at such beauty.

      ReplyDelete