Tuesday 16 June 2009

The gift of flight







Ah, the gift of flight. Is it only available to the very young in the sitting room? What quality is it that we oldies lose which means we cannot do this? Or is it simply weight gain? And is that in the flesh or in experience? Or is it both? If this were a picture of me three foot above the ground would you feel the surge of freedom these photos give you or would you simply feel alarm for what would happen to my body when it hit the ground?

The joy of youth
The gift of flight
The damned hard process of growing old......no, no this poem is not working! Other people may try where I have failed.

4 comments:

  1. the joy of youth
    the gift of flight
    always always always right
    never wrong
    so self assured
    their weightlessness a juvenile metaphor
    a gravity-defying force -
    wait til they get a mortgage!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and a car loan!!!!
    and life assurance, pensions, house and buildings insurance, health insurance, holiday insurance, etcetcetc

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I wish I could write like guy brewer. Guy, would you like to meet for a pint and talk about the joy of youth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a pint? what a fantstic idea.
    where and when?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about at your place? Monday night? I have a couple of poems that I have written about youth and I could read them to you. do you have a wife? She could sit in and hear too. I'm always looking for an audience.

    ReplyDelete