Sunday 14 June 2009

Haiku: what is the format?


This is serious. Moved as I have been to write poems on my blog, I have now decided to publish a few as yet unpublished Haiku. Yes, I think the world is ready. But are we ready? All of my poetry group seem to think that Haiku's have a different number of beats. Who is right, and who is wrong, and who cares? Your comments please...


Birds twitter loudly
Waking people from their sleep
Fluttering their wings

(Benedict - unauthorised)

Waves leap in the air
Sea breeze scoops up golden sand
A day at the beach

(Benedict - unauthorised)

Your lips are petals
Eyelids silk
My heart beats faster

(Manyaslip - unauthorised)

Your china blue eyes
Like shards of sky
Gaze into mine

(Poppy Simmons - unauthorised)

Sliding my arm around your neck
Folding my body into yours
That kiss…

(Belinda Bowen. Authorised)

You laugh when I kiss your neck
Just one of the things
I love about you

(Belinda Bowen - unauthorised)

When I touch your smooth skin
The world revolves
At a different speed.

(Poppy Gillespie. Just brilliant)

3 comments:

  1. May I just say how deeply moved i was by these beautiful poems (Haiku? - don't think so). Normally I am only interested in the works of Laurence Rees, and in Nazis and the second world war (well Stalin as well, and churchill) but I found myself truly engaged in these just magnificent works. I would love to read more. do you have a book published?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty pissed off that you have used my Haiku. I know I read them out and everything but I didn't expect you just to stick them on your blog. Although I must say it is nice to have such a positive comment from Bill, so I suppose it is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got more if you want.......not actually published but just in my head, waiting to be written down.....

    ReplyDelete